This is the estimated time to close the gender gap according to the United Nations. We know that something needs to be done about it but what actions have actually been taken?
Fortunately I had the chance to attend the last WOMEN IN TECH – Global Movement Summit and see that there are indeed people fighting for more diversity & equality in the corporate world, willing to share knowledge and build a better reality.
From this event, I take many valuable lessons and here are a few of them:
– Diversity means more different points of view, less blind spots and therefore better decision making
– Women don’t need just role models, we need access and money/investment/funding
– Nobody knows everything, use your voice even if you are not the expert in the room
– Don’t be a gatekeeper, instead open doors. Occupy spaces but dont hold knowledge
– Don’t set yourself on fire to keep others warm
I am truly grateful for the opportunity to share this space with so many amazing people and also see that BI4ALL, represented by Nuno Barboza and Branca Petrovic at the event, was present and taking a stand on this matter.
Last but not least, finding out that Ayumi Moore Aoki – the brilliant visionary that started WIT – comes from my hometown (Rio de Janeiro) made change seems even more possible.
– Written by one of our experts, Luiza Amante, Business Intelligence Consultant | Power BI | Data Insights